ART – Moving Forward, Question 3 of 5

Roger Moore
At ART 2019 National Conference a workshop session was held subject title ART – Moving Forward to give delegates their opportunity to comment on five questions. The notes from this workshop session will be discussed by the ART Executive Committee and take forward ideas and suggestions to shape, in a positive way, the future direction of not only ART but how we recruit and retain staff.

The five questions discussed during the workshop session are now on the forum as five separate threads. This is to give those of you who were unable to attend conference the opportunity to put forward your thoughts on these questions and a further opportunity for those who did attend conference to add to those already noted down at conference.

Many thanks in advance for taking time to answer these questions, it is your opportunity to help shape the future direction of ART.

Blockers to taking part in ART activities, attending conference or joining the committee?
Kind regards

Roger

Re: ART – Moving Forward, Question 3 of 5

John Moore
The biggest block to my/my team attending conference is without doubt funding. Our trust is loath to spend money on anything which cannot be shown to have a clear benefit to direct patient care. Educational events rarely get approved - especially non-clinical events. The time aspect is less of a challenge if you can keep the high-ups from finding out!

Re: ART – Moving Forward, Question 3 of 5

I agree John although we have to pursue with our managers that career progression/continued education etc is vitally important and that as for techs, ART is about all we have.

One suggestion I heard was to slightly change the name of the conference (or at least add to it) to include words like education & training to help sell it to management.  Sometimes the word conference can make managers think it's some kind of knees up.  Its also important that ART issue a program of events as soon as possible for people to take to their managers to show the benefits of going.

Re: ART – Moving Forward, Question 3 of 5

Roger Moore
I think it is a given that the name is changed to reflect the purpose being training and education.
Kind regards

Roger

Re: ART – Moving Forward, Question 3 of 5

mike.jones
As mentioned above, funding.

2 of my team of 5 would be there each and every year if we could achieve funding. The 2 years I have attended the conference, and in answer to Q4 is very good and should continue, were funded by sponsorship
from suppliers.