Air in Bicarbonate alarm - 5008S

Hi all,

just wondering how common this error is across the country with the 5008S machine.

We definitely suffer from it and are yet to find a solution.

Re: Air in Bicarbonate alarm - 5008S

mike.jones
Hi Ian,

Yes,

Pain in the .........

We have found that the removal of the wands etc resolves it as per 'Fres' instructions sometimes, but we have also found that the device will not resolve this issue itself and a full heat disinfect is required to clear the alarm.

KR

Mike

Re: Air in Bicarbonate alarm - 5008S

Chris Bates
We have definitely seen this over the years but we don't see it very much.

We do a 12 month service (no parts changed) as well as the 24 month and generally spray the probe O-rings and seals (and a few other ones like OLP and hanson) with food grade silicone spray like Fresenius used to supply. Don't really know if it makes a difference though.

We have had batches of BiBags which have caused this too, took me ages to realise there is no o-ring seal for the BiBag, just an "interference"  fit (for want of a better word).

Chris

Re: Air in Bicarbonate alarm - 5008S

Cheers Gents.

Glad it isn't just us then!

Re: Air in Bicarbonate alarm - 5008S

fraser gilmour
Hi Mike,
What wand are you removing? I wasn't aware of any instructions for this problem? I've complained to FMC about it but not had a response other than a suggestion that it's batch related with some internal Bibag filters clogging up during treatment. Not convinced by that.
We see it fairly regularly, more often if patients are running higher dialysate flows and larger Bibags.

Re: Air in Bicarbonate alarm - 5008S

mike.jones
Hi Fraser,

depending on the alarm, bicarb or acid. In this instance bicarb.

What I have been told on different occasions:

Air sensor in rinse chambers needs resetting, hence removal of wand....

Bibag stored in cold environment and so causes air in bicarb towards the end of therapy.

Bad batch of bibags

Out of  the last 5 new home installs 2 are frequently having this alarm. 1 is on 800ml flow, the other 500ml.
Had Fres out for the 800ml a couple of times and had a few suggestions but swapping batch has resolved it for now.

On one of our 2014 machines this is common and is a wand removal and replacement. Works 3 in 4 times. on the 4th a heat dis is required to resolve.

Not sure if it is related but a number of our 2017 5008 babag flaps are not of the same build quality we saw in our previous devices. Anyone else?

KR

Mike

Thanks Mike, so it's a work around rather than a fix, if the machine shows an air in bicarb alarm you've been told that removing and replacing the bicarb intake probe will reset the levels in the H22 and H50. I'll give it a try
One suggestion I had from FMC was that it might be caused by us using WRO-300 and not the Aqua-Uno, although I think that came from sales rather than technical

Re: Air in Bicarbonate alarm - 5008S

mike.jones
Ironically the devices we get this most commonly on are attached to AquaUNO's and not the 300...........