BD 20ml Syringe with Braun Line-sets

Matt Waite
Does anyone else use BD plastipak 20ml syringes (for heparin) on their Braun machines?

Re: BD 20ml Syringe with Braun Line-sets

Garry
Hi Matt,

We have our equipment set for BD 20ml syringes.  Having issues?

Re: BD 20ml Syringe with Braun Line-sets

Matt Waite
We've had a spate of leaks from the syringe to heparin connection.

There's no clear pattern of batch numbers, and both manufacturers are looking into it. I was just wondering if it was confined to us, or it was more widespread issue.

There's nothing obviously amiss, and nipping up the luer fixes the problem. It may be a staff handling issue, or a change of tooling / material in manufacture that allows the connection to become loose after initial tightening.

It is something that has happened very rarely in the past -yet we've seen dozen or so cases in as many days, across multiple sites and staff members.

Re: BD 20ml Syringe with Braun Line-sets

Garry
This post was updated on .
Interesting, as I am aware of several similar events at our main unit, possibly two or three.  I will need to check when back at work tomorrow but fairly sure they have occurred over the last couple of weeks.  No reports from our satellite  units but it may not have been communicated to us.

Will post back tomorrow once I have some further info

Re: BD 20ml Syringe with Braun Line-sets

Ian Morgan
Matt,
I assume you are using B Braun blood lines. If so I can't offer any additional info as we use lines made by Allmed/Kimal.
Ian

Re: BD 20ml Syringe with Braun Line-sets

Matt Waite
Thanks for your time Ian, Yes we use Braun's lines. Although if you're seeing something similar it might point to a syringe issue?

The tell tale sign is the machine coming to the tech's for cleaning when blood has been pushed up the line, out the luer and down the blood pump and line clamp assembly

To update, it looks like it was fairly isolated here with possibly two or three incidents at one of our satellite units and once at the main unit.  This was during the early part of last week and week before.  No further occurrences reported since.

Have you received any updates on this from the manufactures yet?  The reason I ask is that, following a visit to one of our satellite units, it seems we may still have an issue.

No updates have filtered down to us yet, but we're no always the kept in the loop
Decontaminated another machine yesterday, so it's on-going.

Re: BD 20ml Syringe with Braun Line-sets

Garry
Investigation reports now received from all parties with nobody able to identify any issues with their products.