Broken Bicarb Holders

Matt Waite
Cover for housing top

Does anyone else get this?

On average we're changing one of these a week. 50-odd of these a year at £13 each adds up. Not to mention the time and mileage to make repairs.

Braun tell us nobody else has this problem, so it's not an issue. Unless forum users can tell us different...

Re: Broken Bicarb Holders

Hi Matt,

Is it the way they are being used?  Is it only a recent occurance?

Ian

Re: Broken Bicarb Holders

Matt Waite
We've had the problem as long as we've had the Dialog (both V8 and EVO) -more than 5 years. If it's a handling issue we've not been able to bottom it.

There are four parts to the upper / lower bicarb holder assembly. Three of them have had A or B suffix updated parts released over the years (and actually fail much less often than they used to), the 'cover for housing top' pictured has had no revision that I'm a aware of.

I'm wondering if the issue is widespread, is it under reported (hence Braun's belief it doesn't happen elsewhere), whether it really is just us, or if (as I suspect) this is a design / materials issue.

Re: Broken Bicarb Holders

I find companies will always tell you that you're the only one suffering with problem "X" and then you go on a training course and get talking to other techs and low and behold everyone has the same problem!

Re: Broken Bicarb Holders

Chris Pearson
Just out of interest are you using sealed or vented cartridges ?
www.healthtec.co.uk

Re: Broken Bicarb Holders

John Moore
We see exactly the same with our Dialog+ machines. I just put it down to heavy handed nurses!

Re: Broken Bicarb Holders

Garry
Hi Matt,

We have seen this occasionally but no more than maybe one or two a year on around 100 Brauns.  As per Chris's comment, our bicarts are open ended so no need to apply force to pierce any plastic end cap.

A good while ago, when we used sealed bicarts, we did see the bottom holder popping out due to excessive force being used when inserting the cartridge.  This seemed to vary in frequency between sites so assumed it was to do with education of the users.

Even now, on occasion, we still see staff using all there weight as they push down the upper holder.  A gentle reminder that they' no longer have to do that' usually suffices.

Re: Broken Bicarb Holders

Chris Pearson
Hi Garry,
I'm really surprised that anyone would still use the sealed version given that they cause so many problems and the vented ones prevent so many such as broken arms and plastic debris blocking valves and filters.
www.healthtec.co.uk