Dialyser alternatives for reactions to polysulfone

Dialyser alternatives for reactions to polysulfone

Chris Bates
We are reviewing our dialysers for all our patients.
When patients have reactions to polysulfone membranes, what does everyone use ?
Cellulose triacetate ?
PMMA ?
PAN ?
One of our consultants sent me this quite interesting paper :

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/d7fd/50bda86371be7b78ea1664b121e2a6f92e07.pdf

Re: Dialyser alternatives for reactions to polysulfone

We currently use the Nipro 19 and 21 in Manchester.

Interesting - I assume you mean the Elisio ?
We have found, and the paper found the same, that changing to another Polysulfone or Polyethersulfone dialyser still gives reactions in most cases.

Re: Dialyser alternatives for reactions to polysulfone

Re: Dialyser alternatives for reactions to polysulfone

Chris Bates
That makes sense.
Is it suitable for high volume HDF - Nipro site seems to suggest that their Solacea dialyser is best for HVHDF

Re: Dialyser alternatives for reactions to polysulfone

We're using it for HVHDF and I haven't heard of any complaints yet...

Re: Dialyser alternatives for reactions to polysulfone

I was a the 12th Annual UK Dialysis Conference here in Manchester last week where Professor Ikuto Masakane (Yamagata, Japan) gave us an insight into dialysis in Japan.  His talk mainly centred around dialyser membranes as it happens.

Found one of his abstracts here which is pretty much what his talk was about: