Dialysis points in Critical Care/ITU

Garry
Hi All,

I was wondering if we are an exception by not having any facility to dialysis patients on Critical care units?  I'm aware some may have a dedicated ring main and others water points to allow a mobile system to be installed.

The decision was made, back in 2006, not to install an option in the critical care areas at time of construction. 18 years later we had our first call to provide haemodialysis on Critical care!

Thanks

Re: Dialysis points in Critical Care/ITU

Gareth Murcutt
Hi Garry,

We offered RO water to ICU back in 200x? but deemed too expensive. Since covid we now have an entire CWP800 running ultrapure water round two areas we don't need it but not into the main ICU itself. We do have 12 potable water outlets in ICU but that means we have to take down HHD RO's, carbon filters etc - and staff always unsure of using them- basically a complete nightmare.
Interestingly since covid our ICU have moved to doing 12 hr CVVH treatments overnight rather than the old 36+ hrs. This exact treatment can be done online with 5008 for ~£20 compared to £120 with ICU equipment and consumables. Savings of potentially £150k pa, approx 200 tonnes of manual handling removed and over 10,000kgs of CO2e in reducing plastic alone (from all the fluid bags). We just need the pipe from CWP round ICU!!!
Gareth

Re: Dialysis points in Critical Care/ITU

fraser gilmour
our new CCU is planned to have level 2 renal capability with 6 of 24 bays piped to allow connection of portable RO and HD equipment during "surge". The mains water supply pipework will be drained down and kept dry until needed. Currently waiting on the Estates compliance officer deciding to allow mains water connection via double check valve, or full Cat 5 with break tank and pump set.
Additionally, all new CCU bays will have drain points to allow Prismax HF direct drain connection.
This is effectively the same configuration we installed in our existing CCU during the first covid wave in 2020