Lockout tagout procedures for water

Garry
This post was updated on .
Hi All,

Anybody have and like to share any specific procedure they follow when water treatment plant is taken out of service for service/repair/disinfection and how they formally return to service?

I watched a video recently regarding Lockout tagout procedures used for electrical installations and it seems this was something that should be used when works are underway on a renal unit water treatment plant.  Our satellite units are closed out of hours, with no acute work, so I'm happy with a certified service provider testing post PPM to ensure in working order and chemical free. We also attend these sites to check points of use and operation ahead of treatments. I know of one provider who request renal tech onsite to confirm all OK to return to service in parallel with their engineers.

My main concern is with a large main unit where unplanned/short notice treatments can take place at any hour.  Communication can be sent, engineer can check unit before work commences, signage can be posted but all of this does not remove the small chance of somebody turning up to treat a patient being unaware/ignoring the information.  Even with the plant 'off' I would not be certain the remining head of water in ring main would not allow a single machine to run up into treatment.  Either way, it should never get to this stage   Probably an unlikely scenario but I feel it should be a 'never event' where something like the water equivalent of the electrical lockout tagout procedure would help reduce the risk further.

Thoughts?

Re: Lockout tagout procedures for water

Chris Pearson
Hi Garry,
If you've got access to the ward fusebox this could work :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lockouts/8625247
www.healthtec.co.uk

Re: Lockout tagout procedures for water

Hi Garry,

I think you can only do so much.  You can go around and disconnect every panel, even label every one of them up with a do not use tag but you can't account for staff who don't take any notice.

It is really up to whoever coordinates the dialysis to ensure all staff are aware. As a tech, you just want that one single point of contact.  You have then done your bit and they must do theirs.

It may sound like shifting the blame but essentially no dialysis should start without the coordinator's/Ward Manager's/Nurse in charge's say so anyway.

As techs we simply can't account for every potential user's 'determination' to make a treatment happen.

Having some kind of sheathe (who knows, even a rubber glove and an elastic band if you choose) that you put over the permeate connectors on your ring main would be the answer.  If a nurse then removes this knowing that it is there for a reason you have at least covered yourself.

Re: Lockout tagout procedures for water

Chris Bates
Hi,

Walther can supply caps - we have ones suitable for LP006 - they may do for SP006 too (LP006 ones are too loose)

Fresenius supply caps for their SP006 type but they don' seem to be on FMC Tecnet (M41045)