Septic Tank

Lindsay Taylor
Hi All,

Bit of a strange one down here in deepest, darkest Bristol.

Has anyone installed a home haemo setup to a patient who is not on mains sewerage (hence the topic title) and and would be willing to share their existing knowledge.

Don't really wan to re-invent the wheel if someone has already some experience they can share.

Alternatively, if no-one has done this before I will share the method I end up with on the education section of the site.

Cheers.

Lindsay

Re: Septic Tank

fraser gilmour
Hi Lyndsay,
We've got a couple on septic tanks, give me a call if you want to talk about it

Fraser

Re: Septic Tank

Terry Simpson
Lindsay we have a couple too.

One of the things you need to establish first off is, is it septic tank or cess tank.

Feel free to give me a call.

Re: Septic Tank

fraser gilmour
Haven't come across any cesspits down here yet, ee its grim up north

Re: Septic Tank

Lindsay
Thsnks Guys,

As soon as I can eke out a couple of minutes I shall give you a call.
Definitely a septic tank.
Like I said above. haven't done an install to one before and would appreciate the assistance.
Maybe a chance to expand into other 'non-standard' installations. Though I'm not sure what that might entail.

Re: Septic Tank

Matt Waite
An old thread this, but can anyone expand on any of the pitfalls of using a septic tank for a home install? (as we understand it, it's not a cesspit)

There are a number of hurdles for this particular one, but the drainage is the one with which we have least experience. Would you say septic tank is a deal breaker, not an issue at all, or somewhere in between?

We can see we'd be putting up to an extra half a cubic metre of slightly salty / sugary fluid to drain per session. It ought not to contain any solids, but I'm sure we're all familiar with the unpleasantness that accompanies some dialysis drains.

Would (dilute) citric acid cleaning solution alter a 1000 litre septic tank chemistry sufficiently to cause problems?

We recommend our home patients bleach the drains regularly to keep them free flowing (which on the whole works) but I imagine this wouldn't be advisable.

We use other cleaning chemicals from time to time, but we might be able to work around that.

Does anyone have contingencies in place should any issues arise, like where the liability lies for any maintenance work of the drainage system?

Re: Septic Tank

fraser gilmour
Hi Matt,
Our longest running home patient has a rural property with a septic tank system. They've been going >10years, 3 sessions/week, softener, carbon cartridge and heat RO. The RO was a chem version for the first 7 years doing monthly peracetic acid disinfection. They run an AK-200S doing three hot citric rinses and one sodium carbonate(Cleancart A) per week. We haven't had any issues in that time.
We've had a couple of others in that time that haven't run as long, again no issues.

Fraser