Shredder sterilisers

Chris Bates
Does anyone have experience of medical waste shredder / steriliser machines?
For dialysis consumables or even for a whole hospital ?
We have a consultant who is on a green mission.
Seem like a good idea, but years ago, I was told they are more trouble than they are worth.
I had a quick look. The microwave sterilising type seems more likely to be less trouble than steam sterilising.

Re: Shredder sterilisers

Sorry Chris I have no idea.
As a service we don't half throw a lot of consumables away though.

Re: Shredder sterilisers

Chris Bates
I found this range of machines, which doesn't require steam generation or high pressures:

https://www.bertin-medical-waste.com/products/biohazardous-waste-management-systems/sterilwave-100/

So far they haven't replied to my enquiry though.

Re: Shredder sterilisers

Chris Bates
Found another system that is more the size for a whole hospital, rather than a renal unit.

https://www.ecosteryl.com/en/

One problem is, you need a waste processing licence and inspection by the environment agency.

Beginning to sound like a job for Estates not renal techs!

Re: Shredder sterilisers

Chris Pearson
Hi Chris,
Are you still researching this ?
Having a tidy up here and found a hard copy paper written by the Hon.Ray James published by EDTNA in 2010 Journal of Renal Care 36(3) 161-169 I can post to you if it might help.
BR
Chris
www.healthtec.co.uk

Re: Shredder sterilisers

Chris Bates
Yes please Chris. Got a green nephrology meeting next week.

Re: Shredder sterilisers

Chris Pearson
I'll pop it in the post Chris .
www.healthtec.co.uk