Using your own car for work...

Can you insist that someone uses their own car for work as a renal tech?

Has it happened to anyone else out there in renal land?

Cheers

Re: Using your own car for work...

Roger Moore
Hi Ian

This I guess is one of those questions where there will probably be no one clear definitive answer. Here we write into JD He/she should normally have properly insured personal transport available.

I know that some Trust's provide Trust/lease vehicles but this may be down to distances/number of journeys involved.
Kind regards

Roger

Re: Using your own car for work...

DrewB
Hi Ian,

I can see this becoming more of an issue. When you are asking someone to insure their car for business use and drive in everyday and subtract there commute from any claims, it's at the point where it costs too much. There is also no standing payment any longer.
 The difference in insurance I know here in London is ridiculous!
My Bike insurance with business use £829 without £211! The car isn't much better!

Personally I think it is cheaper for the employer, but I am not sure you can force someone to use their own car. Could you make someone buy a car just for work?

Drew
Drew Blackmore
Senior Renal Tech
Royal Free London

Re: Using your own car for work...

Cheers for the replies Drew and Roger,

Can't believe the hike in insurance for your bike Drew

Our Jd's have  always just stated must have a driving license and be prepared to travel.  With the techs here having used their own cars for the last 30 years it has just become the norm but now one of the team has said he's no longer using his car.

To insure my own vehicle for work purposes didn't cost any extra luckily.

One thing is for sure it isn't going to be straight forward as I can't see the department chiefs getting a pool car that only one individual has any interest in using.

Re: Using your own car for work...

Roger Moore
As with you Ian my insurance did not increase after including 'business use' and as I understand many insurers do not apply an increase. I suspect that some insurance companies assume that the vehicle will be used all day on business but that is purely an assumption on my part.
Kind regards

Roger

Re: Using your own car for work...

John Wright
The job advert and JD should not just say must have driving licence. It should state that you must have access to your own vehicle for work. Also if doing >3500 business miles per annum your trust /Health board will probably insist you take a lease car as it is cheaper for them.

John Wright

Re: Using your own car for work...

Matt Waite
We are obliged to have our own vehicle 'available', and for this we must provide business cover (class 1) and breakdown cover at our own expense.

In practice that means the vehicle must be on site, however no concessions on parking price or space availability are made  Furthermore it limits our choice of commuter transport, getting the bus / train / car share to work puts the rapid response service we provide at risk.

A pool car scheme has been implemented but demand often outstrips supply, and reliance is still made on Tech's own cars to keep things moving. There is a feeling that the Trust is having its cake and eating it as we still have to deliver our contracted 'availability' even though the chances of being required are substantially reduced. Our personal financial outgoings to maintain this availability are unchanged, but the reward for doing so is diminished.

No mention is made of the type or size of vehicle which must be made 'available'. My estate car covers most bases, but I doubt you could get an RO, tools and spares in a Smart car...

Re: Using your own car for work...

Great posts John and Matt.
I have a meeting with HR next week to discuss so I will feedback here.

Re: Using your own car for work...

Terry Simpson
Here in Leeds we have 4 pool cars shared between 9 staff and this works well (although two of us are mainly office based). We only need to have business class insurance if you claim on-call mileage.