softener resin

fraser gilmour
We had a recommendation to replace our softener resin during a recent maintenance visit. It's been in about 7 years and seems to be performing as well as the day it was installed. Just wondered what lifespan other are getting from their units? maybe give me an average chlorine level also?
Cheers

Re: softener resin

Hi Fraser,

As you know from our recent chlorine experiment our raw water chlorine levels are around 0.8ppm.
Our average resin age across sites I would say is in the region of 6 years.

Re: softener resin

Garry
We have resin at one of our satellite units that is coming up for 7 years.  Functions fine with normal salt usage.  Total chlorine is always below 0.05ppm.  We did take advice on replacing it but as it was working as spec'd and a visual inspection of the resin showed it to be physically in good condition it was suggested that we just monitor performance and change when required.

Re: softener resin

fraser gilmour
Hi Garry, how were you able to identify that the resin was in good condition? We took a sample out but I couldn't tell what resin that has 'gone bad' would look or feel like. The engineer rubbed it between his fingers when wet and said "yeah, that's starting to break down" it did feel spongy when wet but firmed up when it dried off.
We're just going to monitor performance as normal, would be good to hear from someone who has replaced resin and if they saw a gradual or sudden drop in performance

Re: softener resin

Garry
Not checked personally, just a report from an engineer when the softener head was off for some maintenance.

Re: softener resin

fraser gilmour
rid_736.pdf

Some useful info from the manufacturer