Bicarb Conductivity

Ovidio Gallego
Hello everyone,

I´d like to know what bicarbonate conductivity should we have in order to obtain 34 mmol/l.

Thanks in advance

Ovidio
Ovidio Gallego
FSE Medical Devices in Spain.

Re: Bicarb Conductivity

Hello Ovidio, can you explain further??

On our 5008 machines the bicarb conductivity straight from the bibag is around 60mS. The conductivity straight from the acid cell is around 190mS (I think from memory). Mixing it with the appropriate amount of water gives us our conductivity governed by the prescription settings on the machine. Are you on a 4008 by any chance where you have to take the amount of acetate in the acid can into consideration when setting your bicarb using the "+/-" feature?

Re: Bicarb Conductivity

Ovidio Gallego
Hello Ian
I don´t know Fresenius machines but I know others like COBE, TORAY, NIKKISO and NIPRO. 24 year experience and still learning every single day.
Below you can see the chart I was looking for.
Thanks
Ovidio

Ovidio Gallego
FSE Medical Devices in Spain.

Re: Bicarb Conductivity

Hi Ovidio,

From the table you have shown in your post I read it as a bicarb conductivity reading of 3.15mS will give you a bicarb level of 34

Re: Bicarb Conductivity

Ovidio Gallego
Hello Ian
yes indeed.
I had lost that table but luckily I found it.
I uploaded it just for share.

Thanks
Ovidio
Ovidio Gallego
FSE Medical Devices in Spain.

Re: Bicarb Conductivity

Thanks Ovidio,

That's not something I've ever come across while using the Gambro and Fresenius machines.
I'll compare the table to our machine's reading just out of curiosity :-)

Re: Bicarb Conductivity

Ian Morgan
Hi Ovidio,
The bicarb to conductivity correlation matches exactly with the one I have calculated using a Roche 9180 measuring total sodium and total chlorine.
Good to know others have a similar experience.

Ian

Re: Bicarb Conductivity

Ian Morgan
Meant to say total chloride!