Chlorine Levels

We've been told our tap water chlorine levels are high in this part of the country so just wondered what yours were?

We usually see 0.8 - 1.0 total chlorine.

Anyone beat that?

Re: Chlorine Levels

KevinJGibbs
Hi Ian,

Up here in God's country Newcastle Upon Tyne; Our Total Chlorine Levels for potable water are between 0.3 and 0.6 depending on the time of year!

Regards

Kevin

Re: Chlorine Levels

Cheers Kevin

Re: Chlorine Levels

SteveF
Hi Ian,

I've just been checking through our chlorine log. We get around 0.8 to 1.2 mg  total fairly consistently here at Preston.

How often do you replace GAC media on average?

Steve
Steve

Re: Chlorine Levels

fraser gilmour
ours levels are a bit lower down here, 0.2-0.3. The majority of our water is ground source, hard but low organic content, maybe that's why they can get away with the low levels?

Re: Chlorine Levels

Hi Steve, we're still only changing our GAC every 3-5 years i reckon.

Fraser, I was speaking to a Veolia engineer recently who said that those with low levels of water conductivity in their feed water like us (80-120uS) always have higher chlorine than those with the higher feed water conductivity.

Maybe because our water is soft and from reservoirs rather than bore holes it needs more disinfecting??

Re: Chlorine Levels

Matt Waite
So 14 years on the same carbon means it doesn't owe us anything?

Re: Chlorine Levels

Chris Bates
Our 1st stage GACs seem to be lasting 9-10 years too. Our incoming levels seldom go above 0.5.
Anyone else change their own carbon ?
Quite hazardous when you have a 150kg vessel !

Re: Chlorine Levels

I've only ever seen the aftermath of a carbon change - doesn't look the cleanest of jobs!?

Re: Chlorine Levels

Garry
Up to 0.8ppm total at a few of our sites