Clinic access to standards

Mark W
Good morning all,

I'm curious to understand if Clinics typically have access to the latest regulatory standards?

If not how is the information in them disseminated to frontline staff?

Thanks
Mark

Re: Clinic access to standards

Hi Mark,

Have you any standards in mind in particular?

Re: Clinic access to standards

Mark W
Hi Ian,

The ISO 23500 series which has superseded amongst others 11663 and 13959 to bring all of the fluid standards together.

I note that the "Renal Association/ART - Guideline on water treatment facilities, dialysis water and dialysis fluid quality for haemodialysis and related therapies (2016)" was due for review in January 2020.

Best regards
Mark

Re: Clinic access to standards

Hi Mark, I noticed that too about the revision date.

Just so happens that a few of us have been discussing the standards recently in light of some emails that have been flying about.  While we've decided it's something that needs discussion we don't have a formal date yet. The ART committee are hoping to have a virtual meeting in early June so that may provide us with something a little more concrete. If discussing the standards is something you can fancy being involved in then just let us know as we'll probably set up a separate meeting to discuss. The more points of view and eyes on it the better for me.

Re: Clinic access to standards

Mark W
I'd be more than happy to contribute Ian.

Re: Clinic access to standards

Andy Mosson
The problem with the BSI standards, such as the BS23500 series, is that BSI expect to sell them although Trusts may have blanket agreements in place to source them. As members of the relevant BSI committees, ART do have Committee copies of these standards as working documents. However, ART cannot give these out freely as they are copyright material.  ART can distribute small extracts as part of the discussion process but that is the limit.