Home HD water filters

Chris Eaton
Has anyone any experience with Ellig filters??
We are currently looking at their EP10 (Carbon Block) equivalents, the GAC Cartridge filter and the particulate filters they supply.
Before we spend the time trialing them in patients homes, I was wondering if anyone is already using them?
do they last? are they any good?
our water is pretty good here (incoming conductivity never much worse than 350, best is 75)
would be interested to hear if anyone with much poorer water quality are using them and how they are standing up..

Cheers

Chris

peas owt

Re: Home HD water filters

We have some for trying Chris too.  I can't imagine them being any worse than the Pentek ones we are currently supplied with.
I was told that if using the premium granulated carbon ones then you should make sure you have filtration down stream to catch the fines.

Re: Home HD water filters

Chris Bates
Most of our home patients dialyse 5 or more times a week. We use 3x 20",  1x 5u and 2x EP-20 carbon block from Fileder. These are changed 6 monthly. We have never had anything approaching chlorine breakthrough even when the filter change went to 10 months a couple of times. We are now trialling pairs of the CBC-20, from Fileder again, which has greatly increased capacity over the EP series. I hope we will find that yearly changes are OK (we will still visit and do checks twice a year).
I have always thought Fileder give excellent service without the agressive sales pitch I have received from some other filter suppliers.
Chris

Re: Home HD water filters

That is definitely food for thought Chris.  I would like our home patients to shift from monthly changes to 6 monthly.  We currently use just one 10" carbon impregnated filter along with a particulate filter.
I think we need to make a change but I would like to back it up with some proof testing first.

Re: Home HD water filters

Matt Waite
We've given Ellig's EECB-10 - 5u 10" Radial Flow Carbon Block Cartridges a go, and found them to be less effective than the EP-10 we generally use. I wouldn't say our testing was necessarily the most scientific though, as and we've been having problems with high raw water levels and have been fire fighting chlorine breakthrough all over the place. Your mileage may vary.

We have also a box of EGAC-10 - 5u 10" 70mm OD Longitudinal Flow Carbon Filters on test. The jury is still out on their effectiveness at chlorine / chloramine removal. They look interesting as the housing is transparent and you can see the carbon granules inside. If you fancy giving them a try, be warned they are REALLY dirty. We always try to flush a new carbon to remove any fine particles, resulting in a bucket of faintly grey rinse water. The EGAC-10 rinse water is BLACK. Like squid ink black. Seriously. I dread to think what would happen to any down-stream filters / equipment where the filters not thoroughly rinsed.

Re: Home HD water filters

Gerry Boyle
We've had to put in a small (1m high) column in one of Home HD sites due to suspected chloramine breakthrough, having previously used 20" block carbon filters 5uM.   Change it once a year on swap out arrangement.  Approx cost £300.   As nursing staff take monthly samples and our Home HD service is a managed service with FMC it means I only need to visit our home patients once a year, and there is a very low risk of ever having chloramine breakthrough again. Gerry

Re: Home HD water filters

Gareth Murcutt
We use 2 x the Matrix CTO Plus 20" carbon block filters at home. We tested these many years ago against London water with chloramines and found a 10" filter kept levels below the limit for 50,000l.