NxStage - drain fluid

Hi all,

We're looking at a plan to take dialysis to the patient in places where there are no current dialysis facilities.
Bring the patients to our main hospital for dialysis only takes up valuable bed space.

The initial thought it to use a NxStage bagged dialysate system however we would still have the issue of getting the waste from the machine to a suitable place which may not be viable.  Infection control are not fans of lobbing a waste pipe into the nearest hand washing sink.

One though was if we could catch the waste fluid and then dispose of it a bit like in PD.  I just wondered if anyone els ehad any thoughts or ideas?

we're keen to avoid any moving and handling issues too so collecting the whole session's waste in one container that may weight 30kg won't be an option unless it could be pumped out into the sluice of something.

Who knows, I may have just hit on my million £ idea ;-)

NxStage - drain fluid

John Moore
Hi Ian. Do you use the NxStage pureflow systems? If you use the bagged system but sit it on the pureflow cabinet it may be possible to allow the waste fluid to fill a pureflow "sak" and then pump it to drain in a sluice or similar via the pureflow pump? Just a thought (I'll split the royalties with you!).

Re: NxStage - drain fluid

Great shout John!

Re: NxStage - drain fluid

John Nixon

Re: NxStage - drain fluid

Chris Pearson
Hi Ian,
Have you ever seen the Christie's Closest to Home mobile Chemotherapy truck which travels around Bolton,Rochdale and Chadderton parking in large Tesco supermarket car parks ?
We've equipped theirs,1 in York and several throughout Wales which provide a mobile Chemotherapy service so that patients don't have to travel miles for treatment.
I've often wondered why somebody hasn't tried it for HD for remote patients if there is a cluster.
All the funding for the purchase of the trucks and running costs are funded by charities so the only additional costs are for nursing staff.
I think it would work really well with one of the latest portable dialysis machines ,the effluent could be stored in a tank and emptied back at the depot just like a caravan.

www.healthtec.co.uk

Re: NxStage - drain fluid

I would agree Chris.  I know you can already hire mobile dialysis units but I think they are more designed to be long term temporary if that makes sense!
Getting the nursing staff would definitely be the biggest challenge here.

John - I have seen the Physidia at ART and while it looks good I only thought about NxStage due to our existing partnership with them.  Bringing in another machine to learn would probably blow the nursing staff's minds!

Re: NxStage - drain fluid

Chris Bates
We have NxStage but we now also have one patient at home on Physidia - probably going to have a few more too.
Seems very simple for patients and staff to learn