Renal Workshop Move

KevinJGibbs
Dear All,

End of the Week Moan!

We have a new Head of EME/Renal Manager who is proposing moving the Renal Technical Team from a purpose built workshop on the Renal Ward into a porta cabin with "Portable WRO'" in with the EME technicians?

I'm just wondering how many Renal Teams are not on or near to the Renal Ward around the country?

Of course our Manager has no Renal experience or understanding of the workings of the the Renal Team. We've always been on/near the Ward from the start.

I just understand the logic of spending thousands of pounds of tax payers money to convert a portacabin to incorporate the Renal Team when we have a purpose built workshop that would cost thousands to convert to a 4 bed bay at most! (as they'd need to put a new loop in as water points currently on one wall and there's no services i.e gas, air, suction within the current workshop).

Has anyone had a similar issue that they could share the advantages/disadvantages of a move from this current set up?

Regards

Kevin

Re: Renal Workshop Move

Roger Moore
Hi Kevin

We have always had our renal workshops within the renal block and close to the dialysis area. Would your proposed porta cabin workshop have a 'wet' area in which to work on machines and ROs?
Kind regards

Roger

Re: Renal Workshop Move

Hi Kevin,  Seems madness!

Some of my questions/thoughts:

How are you going to get your machines from the renal ward to the porta cabin for repair?  These are delicate instruments and don't appreciate being jiggles over pavements, ramps, kerbs etc... Might they also get wet as we know it always rains up north?

What about the good old health and safety around the above?

What about the link with the nurses for all those times your team provides immediate assistance?

Point out the substantial cost of adding those extra water points.  If this individual has never dealt with a water company they may be unaware of the prices they charge!  As you rightly mention what about all those extras to make an area fit for looking after patients?  Do you have patient entertainment systems that need moving/installing too?

I would suggest leaning on your nursing team to lobby this new Head of EME to keep the renal techs as close as possible.

Re: Renal Workshop Move

Chris Pearson
What about infection control with potential infected machines (blood splashes on outside of case rather than insides) and who would be responsible and costs for moving them through the hospital corridors from ward to cabin ?
www.healthtec.co.uk

Re: Renal Workshop Move

mike.jones
H Kevin,

Our main Unit has included the workshop but on the same site we have 3 wards, Nephrology, transplant and high dependancy/crash landers. They have around 30 dialysis machines and the same portable RO devices between them and is a 2 corridor and outside walk to get them into the main unit.

It is a nightmare. Machines get bashed around, wheels get damaged. Isolation protocol is tricky.

EBME's/med Phys seem to like adding renal in but not the other way around....

The only advice I can give is get him/her in on a 'wet' day in the workshop to fully appreciate the needs of a renal workshop.

KR

Mike

Re: Renal Workshop Move

John Nixon
Hi Kevin

hope your well, we had a temp move at a number of years ago and the renal lab was on level 7 in one building and the with acute\transplant and the outpatient renal ward was on level 2 in another building with no lab. It was a nightmare to move the machines to the lab and back especially waiting for a lift with enough room for the Tec and machine avoid if possible try to get the consultants and staff to help fight your case

kind regards

John

Re: Renal Workshop Move

Roger Moore
Hi Kevin

Really good responses on this thread to your initial posting. I would suugest that any potential discussions around relocation of your workshop should involve your Infection Prevention team. I'm guessing also that your EME Manager would carry out a full risk assessment prior to any decision?
Kind regards

Roger

Re: Renal Workshop Move

KevinJGibbs
Thanks to all that replied!

Surprisingly our "Manager" hasn't consulted the nursing staff, Infection Control or the Consultants about this proposed moved.

I still think it's madness when some so called Manager comes in; not even worked with Renal Techs tried to fix something that isn't broke!

We are in a purpose built workshop on the ward, we have a 100% PPM for all Renal Equipment and we prevent other machines being pulled out on a day to day basis by solving issues whilst machines are still connected to  a patient. This would suffer if we were forced to move from our current workshop.

Regards

Kevin

Re: Renal Workshop Move

sbeagle
Dear All

We also had a similar problem with an acting up GM and a Capital Projects Manager who thought they knew everything!!!They thought we could just "up stakes" and move our workshop across town without any consultation.

Well when the firestorm calmed down. I highlighted the need for an additional supplies driver to move the equipment between sites, highlighted the infection risks and logistics involved. The downtime and turnaround times as well as response times, shorter working hours for staff to travel across town etc.

After pointing out everything. They succumbed and started to listen to experience. The guy didn't even realise dialysis machines needed water.

Regards, Simon